Health & Safety Code of Conduct
CalDerm is dedicated to providing a safe event experience for all participants involved including attendees, industry supporters, vendors, staff, exhibitors, and anyone else who will be present at the event. All events are hosted in accordance with the health & safety policies as mandated by the city and state in which the event is hosted, as well as the individual event venue, at the time of the event (i.e. attendance limits, social distancing, mask requirements, etc.).
Given that the responsibility of a safe in-person event is equally shared among event organizers, event vendors, event supporters, and event attendees, CalDerm has developed the following code of conduct to which all participants need to abide by. This policy outlines a collection of rules and regulations that include what is and is not acceptable or expected behavior and should serve as a reminder that if we all collectively respect the significance of this contribution, we are advocating for the well-being of our fellow global citizens. By registering and attending a CalDerm event, you also agree to release CalDerm and its affiliates of liability related to your participation, as explained under Liability Disclaimer and Release.
Before Leaving Home
- Follow relevant guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), or your local health authority.
- Adhere to government issued travel restrictions and guidance issued by the region you will be traveling to and the region you are traveling from.
- Evaluate your own health and that of people you are in close contact with; contact the meeting/event organizers if you have concerns.
- Stay home if you feel sick.
- Add to your phone’s contact list, the event organizer’s contact information – CalDerm, 575 Market Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94105; firstname.lastname@example.org; 866-337-DERM (3376).
On-site During the Event
- Abide by the events rules and restrictions, as set forth by the venue and CalDerm.
- Assume all risks of attending an in-person event, including the potential risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 and associated variants.
- Follow guidance from the local health authority, for everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Wear masks or facial coverings when and where suggested (or mandated by the local health authority, the venue, or by CalDerm).
- Agree to have your temperature taken before entering the meeting/event venue, as required by the venue or CalDerm.
- Agree to show proof of immunizations, as required by the event venue or CalDerm.
- Agree to wear a mask or facial covering, as required by the event venue or CalDerm.
- Adhere to social distance protocols put in place by CalDerm or the event venue and respect others’ personal space.
- Go to the event First Aid office (or equivalent) at any time if you feel unwell or are experiencing flu-like symptoms.
- Stay in your room and contact CalDerm for further instructions if you wake up not feeling well during the event.
- Based on current contact tracing advice from many health authorities, if you test positive for COVID-19 up to 14 days after returning home, please contact CalDerm immediately to advise them.
Being negligent and unwilling to follow the rules and regulations listed in this code of conduct, even after a verbal warning has been provided by the CalDerm team.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
If a participant chooses to not follow the rules and regulations listed in this code of conduct, CalDerm may take any action deemed appropriate depending on the circumstances, ranging from issuance of a warning to the offending individual to expulsion from the event with no refund of registration or sponsorship fees paid.
Witnessing Unacceptable Behavior
If at any point you feel unsafe because another participant is not following the code of conduct, please contact CalDerm either in-person onsite at the meeting, or at email@example.com; 866-337-DERM (3376).
Liability Disclaimer & Release
In consideration of being allowed to register for, and participate in a CalDerm event, activity, or experience (“EVENT”), you (“PARTICIPANT”), hereby assume all risks and waive, release from liability, and covenant not to sue the venue at which the event is hosted, the California Society of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery (“CalDerm”), HollandParlette, or their respective members, employees, board members, agents, or volunteers (the “PARTIES”) for any expense, loss, damage, personal injury (including loss of life, disability, or serious harm), property damage or theft, negligence, or actions (each, a “LOSS”) resulting from or arising in connection with your travel to, attendance at, or participation in the EVENT and any related activities unless said LOSS is caused by the sole, gross negligence of PARTIES. PARTICIPANT agrees that this waiver and release shall bind PARTICIPANT and their personal representatives, shall be enforceable to the fullest and broadest extent of the law, and, if any portion is held invalid, the remainder should continue in full legal force and effect. PARTICIPANT is an adult of sound mind and capable of entering into this waiver. PARTICIPANT has read its terms and fully understands and agrees to the provisions herein. PARTICIPANT understands and is aware that their participation in the EVENT involves risk, including, but not limited to, travel, physical activity, locales where public health and safety may be at risk, or activities that involve risk that PARTICIPANT creates for others or others may create for PARTICIPANT. These risks may lead to a LOSS, and PARTICIPANT nonetheless chooses to participate in the EVENT. PARTICIPANT is also aware that there are risks that they may not have considered, yet PARTICIPANTS waives their right to any claims that may occur from these unconsidered risks and chooses to participate in the EVENT. PARTICIPANT acknowledges that no promises, representations, or affirmations of fact were made to me by PARTIES or its representatives concerning the safety or danger associated with traveling to the EVENT or participating in any activity or interaction related to or associated with the Event.
COVID-19 and Its Variants
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19 and its associated variants (hereinafter referred to as “COVID-19”), has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization and has been the subject of national, state, and local public health and emergency orders. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is believed to spread mainly from close proximity to infected persons and contact with contaminated objects and surfaces. It is also known that an asymptomatic individual can be infected with and transmit COVID-19 without their knowledge. Infection with COVID-19 is widely known to result in illness, personal injury, disability, up to and including death. While all CalDerm events are held in accordance of the guidance provided by the city/state in which the venue is located and the CDC, as well as any restrictions implemented by the event venue, due to the highly contagious nature of COVID-19, the potential for transmission by asymptomatic individuals, and the close proximity in which individuals must participate, CalDerm cannot guarantee that you, your child(ren), your partner or spouse, or other individuals with whom you come into contact will not be exposed to, or become infected by, COVID-19 as a result of your participation. THEREFORE, to participate in an EVENT, hosted by CalDerm, on you, for yourself, your child(ren), your partner, your legal representatives, heirs and assigns, hereby waive, release, and discharge the venue at which the EVENT is hosted, CalDerm, HollandParlette, and any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers from any and all liability for any and all losses or damages resulting from bodily injury, illness, permanent disability, and/or death resulting directly or indirectly from exposure to or infection with COVID-19 before, during, or after participating in the EVENT.