Health & Safety Code of Conduct
CalDerm is dedicated to providing a safe event experience for all participants involved including attendees, industry supporters, vendors, staff, exhibitors, and anyone else who will be present at the event. All events are hosted in accordance with the health & safety policies as mandated by the city and state in which the event is hosted, as well as the individual event venue, at the time of the event (i.e. attendance limits, social distancing, mask requirements, etc.).
Given that the responsibility of a safe in-person event is equally shared among event organizers, event vendors, event supporters, and event attendees, CalDerm has developed the following code of conduct to which all participants need to abide by. This policy outlines a collection of rules and regulations that include what is and is not acceptable or expected behavior and should serve as a reminder that if we all collectively respect the significance of this contribution, we are advocating for the well-being of our fellow global citizens. By registering and attending a CalDerm event, you also agree to release CalDerm and its affiliates of liability related to your participation, as explained under Liability Disclaimer and Release.
Before Leaving Home
- Follow relevant guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), or your local health authority.
- Adhere to government issued travel restrictions and guidance issued by the region you will be traveling to and the region you are traveling from.
- Evaluate your own health and that of people you are in close contact with; contact the meeting/event organizers if you have concerns.
- Do not come to the event if you are sick or have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Do not come to an event if you have been advised to quarantine or isolate by a health care provider or a public health official.
- Add to your phone’s contact list, the event organizer’s contact information – CalDerm, 575 Market Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94105; email@example.com; 866-337-DERM (3376).
On-site During the Event
- Abide by the events rules and restrictions, as set forth by the venue and CalDerm.
- Assume all risks of attending an in-person event, including the potential risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 and associated variants.
- Follow guidance from the local health authority, for everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Wear masks or facial coverings when and where suggested (or mandated by the local health authority, the venue, or by CalDerm).
- Agree to have your temperature taken before entering the meeting/event venue, as required by the venue or CalDerm.
- Agree to show proof of immunizations, as required by the event venue or CalDerm.
- Agree to wear a mask or facial covering, as required by the event venue or CalDerm.
- Adhere to social distance protocols put in place by CalDerm or the event venue and respect others’ personal space.
- If you develop signs and symptoms of illness while at the event, please leave and seek medical assistance as appropriate.
- Based on current contact tracing advice from many health authorities, if you test positive for COVID-19 up to 14 days after returning home, please contact CalDerm immediately to advise them.
Being negligent and unwilling to follow the rules and regulations listed in this code of conduct, even after a verbal warning has been provided by the CalDerm team.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
If a participant chooses to not follow the rules and regulations listed in this code of conduct, CalDerm may take any action deemed appropriate depending on the circumstances, ranging from issuance of a warning to the offending individual to expulsion from the event with no refund of registration or sponsorship fees paid.
Witnessing Unacceptable Behavior
If at any point you feel unsafe because another participant is not following the code of conduct, please contact CalDerm either in-person onsite at the meeting, or at firstname.lastname@example.org; 866-337-DERM (3376).
All event Attendees shall sign a form attesting that the attendee has a COVID-19 vaccination. The proof of vaccination must be shown to a staff member or designated person at the time of admittance to the event. CalDerm shall not copy any proof of vaccination, but shall maintain a record of having inspected said evidence.
Due to the nature of the meeting, attendees participating and thier job functions working with patients, no exemptions will be offered. If you have any questions related to the vaccination requirement, please contact CalDerm.
No Retaliation. CalDerm prohibits retaliation for reporting perceived violations of this policy or cooperating in any way. If you believe someone has violated this no-retaliation policy, you should bring the matter to the immediate attention of the CalDerm Board of Directors or Executive Director.
In order to keep our event attendees healthy and to comply with state and local rules for event participation, we require that all attendees follow the state’s requirements for safe attendance practices including social distancing, wearing a mask at all times and use of hand sanitizer. Depending on the state and local restrictions related to safe in-person events, Attendees may be required to complete a COVID-19 Attestation form, to include the following statements:
- I agree to follow the policies and procedures approved by CalDerm when attending this event.
- I certify that I have received (1) a full FDA approved vaccination for the COVID-19 virus.
- I certify that I to the best of my knowledge I have not, nor have I had contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 or associated variants during the last 14 days, nor have I experienced the symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, chills, severe headache, muscle pain or weakness, sore throat, diarrhea, shortness of breath or congestion) in the last 14 days.
Liability Disclaimer & Release
In consideration of being allowed to register for, and participate in a CalDerm event, activity, or experience (“EVENT”), you (“PARTICIPANT”), hereby assume all risks and waive, release from liability, and covenant not to sue the venue at which the event is hosted, the California Society of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery (“CalDerm”), HollandParlette, or their respective members, employees, board members, agents, or volunteers (the “PARTIES”) for any expense, loss, damage, personal injury (including loss of life, disability, or serious harm), property damage or theft, negligence, or actions (each, a “LOSS”) resulting from or arising in connection with your travel to, attendance at, or participation in the EVENT and any related activities unless said LOSS is caused by the sole, gross negligence of PARTIES. PARTICIPANT agrees that this waiver and release shall bind PARTICIPANT and their personal representatives, shall be enforceable to the fullest and broadest extent of the law, and, if any portion is held invalid, the remainder should continue in full legal force and effect. PARTICIPANT is an adult of sound mind and capable of entering into this waiver. PARTICIPANT has read its terms and fully understands and agrees to the provisions herein. PARTICIPANT understands and is aware that their participation in the EVENT involves risk, including, but not limited to, travel, physical activity, locales where public health and safety may be at risk, or activities that involve risk that PARTICIPANT creates for others or others may create for PARTICIPANT. These risks may lead to a LOSS, and PARTICIPANT nonetheless chooses to participate in the EVENT. PARTICIPANT is also aware that there are risks that they may not have considered, yet PARTICIPANTS waives their right to any claims that may occur from these unconsidered risks and chooses to participate in the EVENT. PARTICIPANT acknowledges that no promises, representations, or affirmations of fact were made to me by PARTIES or its representatives concerning the safety or danger associated with traveling to the EVENT or participating in any activity or interaction related to or associated with the Event.
COVID-19 and Its Variants
Attendee assumes all risks and accepts sole responsibility for any injury (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that attendee may experience or incur in connection with attending the CalDerm event for which the Attendee is registering (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Event"). Attendee hereby releases, covenants not to sue, discharges, and holds harmless CalDerm, HollandParlette (association management), its employees, agents, and representatives, of and from any such claims, including all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto.
Specifically relating to the global COVID-19 pandemic, attendee acknowledges the highly contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assumes the risk of exposure or infection by attending the Event, and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, disability, and/or death to attendee. Attendee understands that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at the Event may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of others who may attend the event or their families, colleagues, or others with whom they may have contact. Accordingly, attendee understands and agrees that this release includes any claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of CalDerm, HollandParlette (association management), its employees, agents, and representatives, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after participation in the Event.
In addition to all other rules and regulations relating to the Attendee’s attendance at the Event, Attendee agrees to comply with all COVID-related procedures that may be implemented by CalDerm and Event Venue, at which the event is being held, including, but not limited to, mask-wearing, and social distancing requirements and restrictions on certain activities that carry higher COVID-19 related risk, in order to protect as much as possible, the health and safety of all Event attendees. I acknowledge that failure to complete this form, falsification of this form, or violation of CalDerm policies can result in removal from CalDerm events and disciplinary action.